Bed bugs are notorious for being particularly nasty and hard to get rid of. They are easily able to move from place to place by traveling on clothing, bedding, boxes, luggage, and furniture. Bed bugs also bite and will cause itchy welts on your body when you’re sleeping. These are very uncomfortable and since they are difficult to find and get rid of, prevention is really the best thing that you can do.
How to Keep Bed Bugs Out of Your Home
- Double check anything you get secondhand: This is especially important when you’re buying used beds, furniture, and couches. Look for signs of a bed bug infestation, such as red stains, dark spots, eggs, and live bugs, before you bring anything home.
- Use a protective cover on your mattress and box springs: These protective covers are light in color and make bed bugs easier to see. It also helps to eliminate many hiding spots for the bed bugs. Make sure to buy a cover that is of high quality that resists tearing. Check it for damage on a regular basis.
- Clean frequently: Make sure to clean your home and vacuum your floors frequently in order to get rid of any bed bugs that have made it into your house. They will often hide in your carpet. When you’re done, make sure to dispose of the vacuum bag in a seal trash bag outside. This will keep them from escaping and getting back into your house.
- Monitor and clean your pet beds for bed bugs: Bed bugs are also attracted to your pet’s bed, so it’s important that you check these areas as well. Make sure to wash the bed on the highest heat and dryer settings to keep bed bugs off of them before they cause you and your pet further distress.
- Cut back on clutter in your home: The more clutter you have in your home, the more areas bed bugs will have to hide and the harder it will be to get rid of an infestation. Get rid of things you don’t need and store your belongings.
When it comes to pests in your home, the best thing is preventing them in the first place. Contact Arkadia now to schedule a free inspection!